Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Representatives of Jesus Christ

Good afternoon familia!

This. Week. Was.  A W E S O M E E E E E !!!!!!!!!!

Like most days, I don't have very much time and I want to make sure I get some pictures to you so this may be a tad rushed.

Now just to remind you, Hector is getting baptized on Saturday... Sups excited.

But, here is the best part of the week....

Every Thursday we have weekly planning. It takes us at least 3 hours and for one of those hours or sometimes maybe two, we have companionship inventory. I love companionship inventory. It lets us get everything out and then we set goals on how we are going to have a better week than the last. 

I always leave feeling so motivated, but this week was a bit different. 

I knew that missions are hard, but this week I really understood why... being a trainer is the hardest calling in the mission. 

I am not just saying that either. President Smart even said so. 

This week I really struggled. I felt like I wasn't doing anything right. 

Either I was too bossy by saying exactly what we were going to do or I was not being "a trainer" when I would ask the sisters what we should do. 

On top of that, there was a lot of complaining from everyone (including myself) and everything that went wrong was on my shoulders whether it was my fault or not. 

So, when we started companionship inventory it ended up not so motivating. It was pretty contentious and Sister Anderson and I ended up in tears. 

After a long awkward silence, Sister Pyper offered a prayer and that's when I really lost it. I just felt like I was trying so hard and that there was nothing more I could do.  

Sister Pyper prayed for Heavenly Father's guidance and asked for us each to be able to feel the Savior's love for ourselves and each other.

Once the prayer was over Sister Pyper and Sister Anderson came over and hugged me as I buried my face in my hands and sobbed.

Now you should know that this is the first time this has happened on my mission and that I am not writing this for pity or for praise, but because we were greatly blessed because of our faith after that prayer.

As soon as I was able to be composed and they stopped hugging me, we received a text message. 

I looked at it and said "Oh my gosh" and began to immediately sob again.

We had texted Brother Edwards earlier and asked him what he wanted us to teach Shaylee and Skyler on Friday. 

The text was from him and it said  "Hi this is Shaylee I would like to learn more about baptism and I picked a date to get baptized on August 24th if that is okay?"

We all wept.

It was uncontrollable. For me it was Heavenly Father saying "You are doing great. You are not here to be perfect, this is why you're here."

We ended up going to dinner with them that night, but only Brother Edwards, Shaylee and Dakota were able to go. We asked about Skyler (because we haven't seen him in two weeks) and they said that he's struggling and is unsure about being baptized in the middle of September. 

We were sad, but not surprised. Skyler is really close with his mother and we knew that baptism was going to be a very difficult choice for him to make.

So, on Friday we went over and didn't prepare as much as we normally do, but knew that we needed to teach Shaylee more about baptism so that she understood the covenants she will be making with Heavenly Father. 

As we started talking, we ended up talking to Skyler, very directly. I thought that we should try and focus the discussion towards Shaylee, but even when I testified it was directed toward Skyler. 

Halfway through the lesson I looked over to Sister Anderson and she was sobbing. That automatically chokes me up so I sort of turned my back to her so that I wouldn't lose it as well.

Well, that lasted a whole two minutes. 

Sister Anderson began to speak and was beyond bold with Skyler. It was probably the most powerful missionary moment I have ever witnessed. 

After she sobbed to Skyler and bore her testimony she said "Skyler, I know you know this is true. So, I am asking you this now, as a representative of Jesus Christ, will you be baptized with Shaylee next Saturday?" (Goodness even just typing it now makes me cry.)

Skyler didn't say anything for a little bit, fought back tears and simply said "yes."

Everyone cried.

I know that this is where Heavenly Father needs me. I know that I was called here at this specific time with these specific people. 

My testimony grows every single day. 

I am going to be a missionary for the rest of my life and the life to come.

But trust me, I miss you....a lot.  A lot, a lot! 

But, this is why I am here. This is why we are all here...to remember who we really are and then to help our brothers and sisters remember too.

Love you all! 

I hope you have a great week!!!

Sister Nelson

(email received August 19, 2013)

"Missionaries are really proud of the tan lines on our feet.  Mine might be the best or something"

"Can she rock it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment