Thursday, November 7, 2013

September ended…why didn't anyone wake me up?

I really hope that Alexis Hatch reads my blog because the title of this post is just for her. :)

Okay first things firstthis weekend was transfer weekend and Sister Jin and I are staying in Corona!! I think it will be good. Actually, I know it will be. We figured out a lot this week. 

Oh...the Elders are leaving! So, it will only be me and Sister Jin in the ward which will be really nice because now we have SO much work it's insane. But, I am sad to see them go. They're good missionaries and I learned a lot from them. 

Well this week was "missionary week" and it was....good? Haha. We pretty much looked at it like this

We need to get the ward excited about missionary work so we are just throwing ideas at a wall and seeing which one will stick. Well, I think this week was like one of those gooey guys you get out of the quarter machines. You know...you throw them against a window and they stick for a while, but eventually fall off? Missionary week was exciting for a second and then people got "busy".

Sister Jin and I spent the ENTIRE week visiting all the active families in the ward.  Probably two families were actually participating (which were the two families already doing missionary work) but the most common response we received was "well, we were already doing missionary work and we never pass up opportunities so this week wasn't any different"…yeah, so they pretty much missed the whole point.

But that's okayit was our first attempt!

I think people really started to get it once President Smart spoke at the fireside. I love him and Sister Smart so much. They are awesome. They said everything the ward needed to hear. 

My favorite part was when President said  "It is the Lord's job to prepare them, our job to find them and the missionaries job to teach them.

There it issweet and simple. All we have to do is INVITE. It doesn't need to be an official invitation and it doesn't even need to be an invitation to have the missionary discussions, just anything that will help them come closer to Jesus Christ.

Joseph Smith said:

"After all has been said, our greatest and most important duty is to preach the gospel."

and

"I made this my rule: when the Lord commands, do it."

I challenge us all to make the same rule Joseph did. We have no greater purpose as members of the church and leaders of the world than to preach the gospel. DO WORK my people!

President also challenged our ward and I am going to give you the same challengewhen you are asked to speak in church, invite 5 friends to come see you. That could be 15 non-members at church every week! And how easy is it to say "Hey, I'm speaking in my church on Sunday and I'd love for you to be there.

Even though it's not that big of a deal to us, most other churches only have their pastor speak so it will sound like a big deal to them. Will you do it? I'm telling you it doesn't have to be scary. Just do it.

Sister Jin and I taught Jesse EVERY single day this week!! And guess what!? He is getting baptized on Sunday! :) We also have a baptism on the 9th and the end of November. :):):) I guess that's what happens when you teach 34 lessons in one week. :)

I am really excited for Jesse. He is so prepared. There are a few things that we need to go over a little more and one is the priesthood. Kind of a big deal. 

Yesterday one of the Elders asked him if he knew who was going to baptize him and he said "Oh I get to choose? I didn't know thatwell in that case most definetly Sister Nelson!" The elders quickly responded "Yeah that can't happen because she doesn't have the priesthood." So, we will be working on that this week. :)

The other big thing that happened this week is I taught Sister Jin how to ride a bike! It was a rough start with lots of falling, lots of bruises, a few tears and the typical knee scrape, but she got it in 3 days! I don't even have to run along side her or help her on the bike anymore. This week we will be working on getting on and off the sidewalks though. :) Im excited…it's one of my favorite parts of the day. 



I love you all! You mean the world to me and I pray for you constantly. I TRULY appreciate all of the letters I got this week! I am so honored...I had no idea so many people read my blog, so thank you! :) I am going to try my hardest to write you all back.

xoxo

Sister Nelson

Ps. I don't know if this is allowed, but when it comes to eternity I think it's okay. There is the gosh dang cutest girl in my ward and last night she came up to me and said "So I hear you have a brother my age, tell me about him!" Okay, so maybe I talk up my brothers A LOT! :) Anyway, I happened to have a photo of Jack and I may have told her that he plays varsity basketball and football and maybe that he got a 32 on the ACT without a calculator :) She's a fan. Her name is Amy Saunders. Jack, you're welcome. ;)

Amy, Nat and Sister Jin
(email received October 21, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment