Saturday, March 22, 2014

Coastin' on a dream

On the 24th I officially hit being out for 9 months (half way!) and it's not my favorite feeling in the world…being on top of the hill.  However, since I don't go home until November 4th, I'm just coastin' at the top until I start on the downward slope.

This week was a "normal" week of missionary work.  We kicked it off with exchanges and since we're on a bike (the only STL's on a bike) President was nice enough to give us all the sisters in Corona and only a few outside.  Lucky for us, every one of the sisters are in a car which makes it easier to actually exchange.

We planned on going on two exchanges a week, one with a companionship from Corona and the other from somewhere else.

The first this week we were with the Temescal Valley sisters.  Sisters Graff and Niihau.  I love, love, love both of them.  It was so fun.  I stayed here on a bike with Sister Niihau and we had a blast.  She was such a hoot on a bike.

Nat and Sister Niihau
Our area is small, but it isn't the easiest area for biking. Going east to west it's flat, but going north to south it's one huge hill.

It. Is. A. Killer.

On our first day, Sister Boden and I were biking to Sister Clemmer's house which is at the top of the hill.  It was pretty hard…so hard that Sister Boden had to get off and walk her bike (the thought crossed my mind too, but I'm much too proud…yeah I know I'm working on it).

Sister Niihau knew that story and so she set a goal to stay on the bike no matter what.  Of course, we ended up visiting a less active family that from our house to theirs is one straight hill…nothing but up! It was in the evening so it was cooler, but it was still difficult.

I kept turning around to see how far back she was, wouldn't be able to see her so I'd sit, wait and pray and then all of the sudden I would see her scooting herself along the curb of the street.  Hahaha…she literally did not get off the bike!  She said she didn't care how she did it or how long it took just as long as she stayed on the bike…I was so proud of her. :)

I also went on exchanges with Sister Greenwood in Riverside and we also had fun.  It was a pretty hard day because we spent the day finding. We couldn't get any of our lessons to follow through and we couldn't find any members to go with us, but we were able to teach a few drop by lessons and leave some blessings with people on the street.

Always a good time when you're living the good life.

We have a new investigator named Ruben (I don't think I've mentioned him yet) and let me tell you, he is a hoot and a half! He's probably in his late 20's, but he has special needs  so the bet way to describe him is that he's a big kid.  He was a media refer all we received and I am SO glad we did.  Never a dull moment with my boy Ruben.

Sister Boden, Ruben and Nat
He talks and talks and talks so sometimes it's hard to teach him, but it's totally worth it.  We have to really simplify the lessons, but that just makes it more fun.  The first time we talked to him we took Brother McKee (our ward mission leader) with us.  Ruben told us about his member friend who has been teaching him about the church and Ruben said "I already know everything, but can't get my friend off my back!"

So obviously I said "then do you want to be baptized?"

And Ruben said "yes!"

So then we started talking about a date.  He has come to church three times and we knew that it would take a little longer to teach him so I said "well, what about February 2nd?"

I am still embarrassed about it now and I can't believe that I made that mistake because I feel like the 2nd is all anyone talks about these days…

So Ruben replies "Uhhh the SUPERBOWLLLLLL!!"

We were dying.  We ended up putting him on date for the 16th. :)

We have taught him a couple of times, but he doesn't have a phone and his landlord doesn't love us.  So we just show up to our "meeting spot" and pray that he does too…which he has every single time without fail.

This last week was the McKee's anniversary so we asked Sister Behrens if she could come with us. I love the Behrens'!  They're such a sweet family…super missionary minded.

Sister Boden and I show up and Ruben gets there soon after.  While we are waiting for Sister Behrens, Ruben says "Hey, I found a phone!"

We were super excited and continued to ask him about it which we soon realized that he literally had just found the phone on his way to meet us.  I asked him if I could see it and he pulls out a brand new smart phone!  So, we tried to convince Ruben that he needed to return the phone, but he wasn't having it.

After Sister Behrens shows up we start teaching him about the gospel and Sister Behrens teaches him about repentance and then she says "Ruben, I think that we need to talk about your phone".

He was not a happy camper.  For the next HOUR, the three of us were going at it trying to help him understand that he needs to give the phone back.  He had lost a few cellphones himself and was keeping it more because he was holding a grudge towards those that didn't give his back.  Finally, he said that he'd give it back, but that he was going to ask for a reward and that he wasn't going to tell us when he'd do it.

We tried everythingggggg.  There was lots of "what would Jesus do?" kind of talks and "we're not mad at you, just disappointed" and even some reverse psychology, but NOTHING was working. We could not soften his heart.  He just sat there with his head resting on his hand and his eyes closed and he stayed like that for about 10 minutes.

Sister Boden said "did he just fall asleep on us?"

He remained silent a little while longer then Ruben peaked open his eyes and saw that we were still there.  The three of us laughed and said "Yep, we're still here!" :)

So then we tried bribing him by telling him he could go with Brother McKee in his cool old bug or even with Sister Behrens her her convertible mustang…and still nothing.

Finally, Sister Behrens slapped a twenty-dollar bill on the table and said "Here!  Here is your reward...but, only if you give it back right now!"

Ruben looked at it, started to grin and said "Okay!"

Hahaha we all started cheering and were very excited and then we took him to Verizon so they could scan the phone and contact the owner.  Ruben asked the worker to call them right then and wanted them to know he found it, but that he was making sure they got it back. :)

Sister Behrens was so sweet and told him since she was so proud of him that she would take him through the McDonald's drive through for lunch.

He was VERY excited!

Ruben came to church on Sunday and I have to say, I really, really love him.  He is so funny and really does want to learn more and get baptized.  Can't wait to see what happens this week.

Love you all!!!!!

Sister Nelson
(email received January 27, 2014)










No comments:

Post a Comment